IOS XE supports multiple CPU cores, control plane and data plane separation, and platform abstraction which leverage enhanced performance.
IOS XE provides flexibility by offering In Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) which is no go in case of IOS classic.
- IOS XE retains the exact same look and feel of IOS, provides enhanced future-proofing and improved functionality
- IOS XE (IOS 15.0) runs as a single daemon within a Linux operating system
- Additional system functions now run as additional, separate processes in the host OS environment
- IOSd within the IOS XE environment supports multiple threads and multi-core CPUs
- Wireshark and Mediatrace included, runs separately from IOS